Thursday, August 24, 2006

For years we never saw them. They probably didn’t exist. I first noticed them occasionally when you created a new email account. But here on the blogging site you see them every time you wish to make a comment.

Seemingly they are a means of protecting Us All from malicious computer programs that have wanted to set up a lot of email accounts, and now, want to make comments to our blogs*.

I’m talking about those weird, maybe sometimes funny or cute, definitely strange, usually nonsensical, and always squiggly or wavy words that we have to type in to prove that we are not a computer program but a real person wanting to make a comment.

I think there is more to it than meets the eye. Think about it. First we have to read the word, often having to concentrate a bit to decipher what letters are involved. And then when we think we have it, we have to type it into a little box.

See it. Type it. Repetitive exposure and experience.

Do you ever stop to think where these strange words come from. Who makes em up? Some has-been purchasing agent whose old job depleted his mental faculties to the point that all he/she can now do is randomly hit the various keys on the keyboard in short bursts?

I think not.

I think it goes much deeper than that.

I think that in those mysterious little groupings of letters are hidden messages. Look at them. Next time you see one and have to type it out, pause a moment to gleam its meaning.

I think someone, somewhere is trying to tell us something. Trying to reach out perhaps, to be heard. Perhaps it’s a bloggerwannabee lacking the digital dexterity, perhaps phonically-challenged, or just too shy to come right out in the open and Blog Out Loud and Clear for the Whole World to See.

Perhaps it’s a philosophical genius trying to give us subtle hints to the meaning of life.

Perhaps its Walmat sending subliminal signals to the purchasing lobe of our brains.

Whatever it is, I intend to get to the bottom of it.

I’ve already started my own indepth study and analysis of the various “words” I’ve already encountered here at the blogging site.

In this blog I will post my findings.

I’ve already sensed clues to the words. It seems to me that many are submitted to us with a sensitivity to the subject of the blog you are about to make a comment on. I don’t think that the word in anyway is intended to lend either support or rebuttal to the blog itself. I think the relationship is just the sender’s way of providing a clue.

So as you post your comments, pause a moment and reflect on those wavy words and see if you don’t also become aware of their hidden meanings. I hope this blog will help give you the feel of it, so that you to can reap the wealth of knowledge that I believe is there for the taking.

BEWARE - even as I started this investigation I have seen in my other web browsing that this wavy code phenomenon has this VERY DAY infiltrated another web site that I use many times a day. As few as 15 minutes ago I was able to send email replies to fellow geocachers who have sent me answers to our virtual geocaches in the same manner I’ve been doing four years. But just seconds ago, in my ever-back-and-forth-site-to-site-to-site clicking I was presented with a brand new geocaching email format. AND!!!! it now wants me to enter a code from a distorted array of familiar looking, and seemingly innocuous symbols.

Oh they are tricky!

This time its not as simple as just letters of the alphabet. This time, in a stepped up effort to protect the coded message, or, to perhaps weed out those of us less intent on seeking their meaning, they have substituted the letters with numerical characters!

So now I’m not only facing the daunting task of digging the meaning from the wavy words. I will also try to crack the code of the distorted numbers.

I just hope I’m up to the task.

*Aren’t you just a little bit curious what those might be like?

9 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Considering the content of this blog, I definitley think it needs to have wavy words in order to comment.

I'm wondering if you've noticed the little wheelchair next to the wavy words. I'll like to hear you take on that; try clicking on it.

Friday, August 25, 2006 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Framed said...

Are you a conspiracy theorist?

Friday, August 25, 2006 8:26:00 PM  
Blogger ReveryWings said...

ok alyson I just flipped the word verification switch to the ON position. And the blog is obviously happy about it as I see the word hjyaqhtw! below.

framed.... who told you to ask me that!? And why do they want to know?

Saturday, August 26, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

Whoa! I've never paid any attention to the wheelchair. I clicked on it and different people gave out numbers. I'm going to try entering those instead of the letters to see if blogger accepts this comment. Will let you know. Then we can better protect ourselves.

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:09:00 PM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

It worked. I may have to do that from now on, since I mess up so often on the wavy words.

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:10:00 PM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

Now for what I was going to original say before I read the other loonies comments -- I look at those wavy words and nothing comes to mind at all. I think it means that your brain has some talent that mine can't quite grasp. I mean how did you ever come up with 19 from syxqrya?! The wavyword I'm looking at now has real promise: vunkoy.

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:14:00 PM  
Blogger Myke Weber said...

My current wavy word is mobzm which is way weird because Framed seems to be a conspiracy skeptic who obviously doesn't believe the scriptures in which we find this quote:
In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you...

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:03:00 PM  
Blogger ReveryWings said...

booklogged.... don't take the easy way out. Those Spoken Words are not for this sight. They are only for Sunday Mornings on KSL. Here they are just a diversionary tactic to try and keep you from looking at the wavywords.

About grasping meaning of the words. Its vunkoy that you should ask that question at the same time you got vunkoy as a word. Don't you see? The clue is always (I I think) in the context of the post you are about to comment on. Don't get in a fmqgvh trying so hard.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:46:00 AM  
Blogger ReveryWings said...

I think you are right Myke. And I'd suspect there might be a fair degree of mobzm happening as well from time to time. And I don't think pzcpfmue is gonna be much help when that happens.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home